Saturday, June 11, 2011

A little d i y





I know that EVERYONE has a terrarium now, but I came across this large blown glass apple a few weeks back at the thrift and I just couldn't resist. Also I like the idea of having a centerpiece for the dining room table that doesn't require much upkeep. 
I ordered a mix of succulent cuttings from The Succulent Garden on Etsy and they came lickedy split. I followed the instructions she gave for the 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 perlite mix and topped off with some pebbles.

I made a second one for my studio upstairs with some of my own cuttings (the baby toes are my favorite). I put those into a vintage bulb jar and topped off with a hurricane lamp and small wooden ball as seen in the one below from West Elm last year.

You can easily find these hurricane glass covers in many shapes and sizes. I love the idea of controlling the humidity by removing the wooden ball on days you water to prevent condensation on the inside.
I have shown some more here that may eventually go into the home shop with vintage tin baking cups as little planters.


Happy Saturday everyone and a big hello to all of my new followers. 
I am so glad you are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment